The Fall! Colder weather, sweaters, blankets, comfort food…need I say more? I absolutely love this season! For many years…I take some time to “stock my pantry” for this wonderful time of year. I have been gathering some items this week and, “gearing up” for lazy Sunday afternoons, watching football games with my hubby…and, thinking about cold weather recipes and, things that I love to eat and drink on those brisk mornings.
Here are my current favorite things to collect for the “Fall Pantry” (and freezer too!):
- Oatmeal– Delicious on a cold morning, don’t forget the brown sugar!
- Canned chili– so good with Fritos and melted cheese! …and a dollop of sour cream. (add salt and pepper to make it even tastier!)
- Hot cocoa mix and marshmallows (make the mix yourself with cocoa, coffee creamer and, malt—I will hunt down the recipe and post it soon!)
- Pumpkin bread mix. You can whip up a batch in a hurry!
- Canned Pumpkin– ready to go in the pumpkin bread or dozens of other wonderful recipes.
- A1 sauce– yum! Don’t you love a hot steak on a cold evening?
- Refrigerated pie crust– you can whip up a hot cherry pie on a moment’s notice. Also, I love quiche in the fall—invite a friend over for brunch and enjoy!
- Frozen cinnamon rolls….with coffee…need I say more?
- Apple Cider. Serve it hot with a spoon full of whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Just like Starbucks.
- Cinnamon & Sugar mixed together. Perfect for making cinnamon toast. Take slices of wheat bread, add four pats of butter to each slice, sprinkle with the C & S mixture. Broil for 3-4 minutes. My kids adore this!
- Parmesan Cheese. I mix it with baking mix (such as Bisquick), coat boneless chicken strips, and, bake. * See Ultimate Chicken Finger recipe in the archives. A new staple dinner in our house.
- Flavored coffee. Love to make flavored coffee on a cold afternoon…for a quick “pick-me-up”.
- Hershey kisses with caramel in the center. Oh wow! Be careful! Good!
- Orange sweet rolls. These stay in the refrigerator. Very good! These are a tradition on a fall Sunday morning. Divine!
- Brown paper bags. Cheap and, useful for everything from packing lunches to giving a friend a “fall happy”. Get creative and, decorate the bags with stamps or stickers. Insert a little gift or a baked goodie, and, surprise a friend or a neighbor. *Allow your children to decorate the bags for a fun afternoon craft.
- Dried onion soup mix. Pour a package over a roast and turn on the crock pot. Add baby red potatoes, chopped celery and a chopped white onion. Cook on low for 7 hours. Oh my! The best ever!
- Caramel coffee creamer. Use in coffee (of course!) or…combine 1/2 a cup and, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in the blender. A wonderful “fall” milk shake. Add more coffee creamer to your taste. So good!
- Carrot cake mix. Carrot cake with cream cheese icing…a wonderful dessert for any fall evening. I am craving this right now!